Stacey Hart, semi-finalist in the 2017 The Great British Bake Off and now a healthy recipe developer, believes ‘sweet’ doesn’t have to mean lots of sugar or honey however.
Stacey has created this alternative healthy honey cake recipe to show that you do not have to compromise on taste when eating a healthier diet.
“I didn’t set out to create an alternative to honey cake, but I was having a play in the kitchen and created these sweet and spicy slices that are soft and gooey and reminded me of the honey cake I ate growing up, but with no added sugar or honey in sight (there’s some natural sugars found in the ingredients, but very little). They’ll certainly be on the menu for our family this Rosh Hashanah.”
Sweet and Spicy Low Sugar Slice Recipe
Preheat oven to 180° (or 160° fan)
Line an 8 inch square tin/brownie tin
- 75g unsalted butter
- 130g xylitol natural sugar alternative (available in health stores and supermarkets as Total Sweet)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- 170g ground almonds (processed to make finer if not already extra fine)
- 1 ½ tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave and the xylitol and whisk to combine.
- Spoon into a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Add the eggs one at a time while whisking slowly.
- Add the almonds, baking powder, spices and vanilla at the same time and mix until smooth.
- Use a spatula to ensure all the mixture has been taken down from the sides of the bowl.
- Pour into the lined cake tin.
- Bake for 20 mins.
- Carefully cover with foil and continue to bake for 10 mins.
- Cool in the tin for 20 mins and then remove and leave to cook on a wire rack.
- Slice into 9 pieces.
- This cake can be frozen or kept in an airtight container for 3 days
Stacey Hart is chef and recipe developer, who works to the mantra ‘taking out the sugar but not the taste’!
If you liked Stacey’s healthy honey cake recipe, follow her on Instagram for more healthy recipe inspiration!
Healthy honey cake might not be the only thing on your mind in preparation for Rosh Hashanah this year – check out our top celebratory drinks and favourite high-street trends for more Rosh Hashanah inspiration!