Here’s a recipe for traditional potato latkes, a popular dish during Hanukkah:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion
- 2 eggs
- 60g all-purpose flour
- 5g baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Grate the potatoes and onion using a box grater or a food processor. Place the grated mixture in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix the grated potatoes and onions with the eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. The flour and baking powder help bind the latkes together.
- In a large skillet, heat about 60 ml (1/4 cup) of vegetable oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture, shape it into a patty, and carefully place it in the hot oil. Flatten the patty with a spatula. Repeat with more mixture, leaving enough space between latkes.
- Fry the latkes for 2-3 minutes per side or until they are golden brown and crispy. Adjust the heat as needed to prevent burning.
- Once cooked, transfer the latkes to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the latkes warm with applesauce and sour cream on the side.
Enjoy these delicious potato latkes as part of your Hanukkah celebration! They are a classic and beloved dish during this festive time.